From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:46:35 -0500
I would not advocate destruction as a means to eliminate embarrassing
things.  That is changing history.  If you destroy them with no record of
their existence, you change the historical record (and criminal also) to
continue to reflect this man's "greatness" within the community when in fact
he may be a criminal (remember innocent until proven guilty).  In addition,
without having an expert (i.e. lawyer) look at them you may be in violation
of the law (destruction of evidence) or reading too much into them.
(borderline but not)  Either way consult assistance outside of the museum
and perhaps outside of your community if it is small and you need unbiased
help.

If you are given the all clear to "destroy" then there must still be a
record of them in some way.  You records must reflect that they did exist
and were destroyed because they are a portion of the photographer accurate
history.  We do not have the right to change history just because it would
be easier or less complicated.  If he was a pedophile then he was.

If you decide not to destroy or are told you may not destroy them, you can
certainly restrict all access to them so that the curious and perverse
(including visitors, researchers, and staff) can not just come in to look at
them.

Either way, document, document, document.  Do not ignore them and hope they
will go away or not document them because they embarrass or upset you.  You
will need to record them the same way we do with morgue, murder and other
crime photographs because they are a part of the record.  Unpleasant but
still a part of it.

Good Luck
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager