From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 08:21:53 +0100
Our site currently receives about 100,000 hits per month.  The amount of
mail we get is trivial.

We've set up mail accounts for each of our four member institutions, mail
accounts for about 5 specific programs and two 'generic' web accounts.  At
present all but two of the specific program accounts go to my mail box.  I
make a quick decision to forward to the appropriate person or reply myself.

We probably average 4 or 5 messages a day.  It takes about 10 minutes to
either reply or forward the message.

Most messages consist of people providing helpful information either about
our web site, or about additional information which could be included.

A tiny fraction need to be forwarded to a curatorial expert, perhaps one
message every week.  These messages usually consist of a young person
asking us to "send them every thing we have" about the tar pits or some
other subject.  We generally politely decline and suggest a visit to the
library.

We have NOT set up any email links where we specifically encourage people
to ask questions.  If you promote an address as having an expert who is
willing to answer questions you may get a lot more email.

Jim

  >     I'd like an idea of how much time someone on your staff is spending
>shagging messages from your www site and sending replies, and what
>department does that person belong to?  Education?  PR?  Library?
>     It looks like our Municipality is going to make the plunge, and we
>get to swim along.  I'm trying to make reasonable plans for responses.
>     Thanks
>     Diane Brenner, Anchorage Museum

Jim Angus
Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999