From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 07:40:35 -0700
My guess is that it is ok to apply for more than one,
though I think I would apply once and cover it in the
cover letter.  Unless the positions are widely
dissparate, I'd cover the qualifications for both in
the same resume and explain the cover letter thusly:

I believe I am qualified for Position A because of my
background in blah, blah, blah.

Additionally, I would also appreciate consideration
for Position B.  With my background in blah, blah,
blah.

Sometimes a good candidate that is a runner up for one
position may be a great fit for another one in the
institution with an eye to succession planning.
Letting the institution know you would be interested
in either position, from my perspective, is not a bad
thing.  They may completely exclude you from hire
(this go round) if you don't apply for a position for
which you would be otherwise qualified if you only
apply for one and not the other.

To me, it just shows you are eager to work at their
institution and bring the diverse background that
could be an asset to the institution in that you could
wear multiple hats.

--- Rusty Baker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Here's my take on this given the information
> provided...
>
> Depending upon the positions advertised, you may
> want to focus on one of
> them that you feel strongly about rather than making
> the HR person wonder if
> you don't know what you want to be.
>
> When an institution has multiple postings but is a
> small place, the question
> begs to be asked, "What are this institutions
> issues?"  Turnover in the biz
> is what it is, but sometimes mass exodus is a
> signature of problems at a
> higher level.
>
> Rusty Baker
> Susquehanna Art Museum