Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:35:14 -0500
I am asking a collector to reproduce some artwork that he has. It is graphic
designs, hand drawn and colored on paper from the mid-18th century. The
material is not particularly fragile; it can be handled. I have said that
for my purposes, a direct scan on a flatbed scanner would offer the least
"generations" from original to final reproduction. He is, understandably,
concerned about the light from the scanner and any possible damage that it
might do.

Scanners use a wide spectrum flourescent light. I do understand that
something like a Xerox copying machine uses a much brighter (halogen? )
light that might be detrimental to old materials. But what about scanners?
What is the policy at museums for the use of scanners on original material,
particular older graphic prints or books?

Thanks

Andy Voda