From:
Lauraine Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:24:03 -0700
  A local government department had 2 large photo albums created
(approx. 18" x 30") some 10 years ago. They contained b&w photos ordered
from various archives and captions. The photos & captions were laminated
onto acid-free poster board pages and a layer of what looks like mylar
was laminated on top of that to protect everything. They were stored at
the museum (but not part of our collection) but the gov't dept decided
it wanted to use them for something, subsequently stored them in a
basement, and now the mylar protective layer and the captions have
wrinkled. It looks like moisture damage, possibly caused by
temperature/humidity fluctuation.

If you picture those magnetic photo albums where somebody has laid the
plastic cover down badly so that air is trapped in it and there are
little ridges, you'll have an idea of what this album now looks like.

New albums can be made because all the photos were prints ordered from
various archives. What I've been asked and what I am asking you, is
there some sort of inert, rigid, plastic that could be used for the
pages of the album, instead of acid-free poster board, that would be
more tolerant of improper storage. Otherwise, I'll recommend they
recreate the albums in the same fashion and simply store them properly
this time.

thanks in advance
Lauraine Armstrong

--
Lauraine Armstrong
Curator of Collections

Northern Life Museum                    tel: 867-872-2859
PO Box 420                              fax: 867-872-5808
Fort Smith, NWT X0E 0P0

Software is that ridiculous collection of absurdities that doesn't know the first thing about how to make a good cup of tea.'
Arthur Dent vs. Nutrimatic Machine (D. Adams)