From:
DAMALA Areti RD-TECH-REN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:21:03 +0100

Th Exploratorium in San Francisco published some results concerning visitor use of handheld devices.A long report is available on the web site of the museum.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/guidebook/userinterface.html

Aoki et al. wrote some articles on pocket pc's and  visitors attention. So did Chris Tellis from Antenna Audio.

The canadian CHIN has also dedicated some space on this matter.
http://www.chin.gc.ca/English/Digital_Content/Tip_Sheets/Pda/tip_sheet13.html

The Tate Modern has published reports on the pilot programs of the Multimedia Tour.

However, there is no synthetic work so far treating the matters.
I hope to be able to gather all relevant material in my PhD which started earlier this year.

Allow me finally to say that the portable of the platform proposed is a unique challenge to personalize the content, and consitutes one of the main differenes with fixed work stations. Furthermore it seems that it enhances the social interaction between groups visiting together a monument or a museum.

My studies so far have shown that we tend to compare this new media either as an e-docent, as an audio guide or as a text book. I think that the truth lies somewhere in between...

Best regards
Areti DAMALA

Areti DAMALA
BA in History of Art and Archeology
Msc in Cultural Informatics
PhD Candidate in Computer Science

France Télecom Recherche et Développement  TECH/IRIS/IAM & INRIA/IRISA/SIAMES
4, rue du Clos Courtel-BP 91226
35512 Cesson Sévigné-France
Tel: +33 2 99 12 48 13
Télécopie: +33 2 99 123786