From:
Lori Tomlinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:39:48 -0400
Thanks to everyone who replied to my request re: non-profit exhibit companies.  In the responses I've received thus far, the non-profit exhibit production services have all been affiliated with a museum.  Does anyone know if non-profit exhibit production companies run independently?

Our museum has received an offer from an individual who is in the process of forming a non-profit exhibit production service.  In the past, he has provided exhibit services to us, working as an independent contractor.  His offer includes the trade of a large number of artifacts from our collections (unrelated to our mission that we are looking to deaccession), in exchange for artifacts from his private collection, plus his services in conducting oral history interviews for us, and a donation of tools for use by the museum.  The artifacts he obtains from us would be used in producing traveling exhibits, for trade for artifacts from other institutions, or for sale.  His agreement includes a promise that "the items will remain, to the best of its ability, in the Public Domain."

What do you all feel are the pros and cons of this offer?  Comments?