From:
"Barty, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:27:45 -0700
Hello:

Each year our director teaches a course in museum studies at The University
of Alberta - and she shows an episode of 60 Minutes that aired way back in
November of 1992 - the piece was called the "China Syndrome" - and dealt
with the issue of a former university professor and curator who had research
access to many collections areas - and began "pocketing" some artifacts from
these institutions china / porcelain collections.  It really drives home the
message to our students about the need for collections policies and
security...

Recently one of her students asked if we knew what ever happened to the
stolen property - 60 minutes indicated that a) some institutions didn't have
appropriate records to legally claim ownership or B) many groups chose not
to persue the matter in order to avoid embarrassment.  We are not sure how
true either of these interpretations are.

If you remember this tv show - and have any follow-up information you would
be willing to share with us - we would be most grateful - Please reply off
list.
Many thanks

Lisa Barty
Education Coordinator