From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:13:51 -0400
But for some perspective--- it's not only the museum field that has too few
jobs. Have you seen how many lawyers the law schools are turning out?
Speaking of bloating the market. I had a waiter the other night who was
waiting tables while he looked for a lawyer job! I know people looking for
jobs in fields such as environmental policy, legal, economics, international
trade, geography and all sorts of entry level positions.

And where are there jobs? And will you be happy with them? You can get an
extremely well paying computer job if you know how to double click. But do
you want to stare at a screen and type code all day? Construction's
increasing, but can you do it? There's always a need for nurses, but can you
stand blood and suffering? And we won't mention the growth in the
military...

The economy is shifting around. In many ways I would argue that the museum
field is growing more than others-- professionalism in the last 30 years has
been increasing, requiring more trained museum people. True, the number of
"curator" jobs aren't increasing, but what about jobs in education,
community outreach, fundraising? And what about museum consulting firms?
For-profit museums? Sure, those pre-celtic impressionist curator positions
aren't growing, but there are lots of other positions. When you look at the
Aviso ads, look at all the jobs. The number of ads has been growing and the
types diversifying. Who knows, maybe your museum niche is in the security or
elderly programs.

You can still find cheap Rolling Rock in places (but the $2 PBR pitchers
seem to be gone!) so have fun, be flexible and explore various fields while
you still have the flexibility. No one expects you to be in your career
right out of college, so enjoy it while you can.

Pamela