From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:10:26 GMT
True, True.  Three Canadians and an Australian apply for a summer archive
job I advertised last year.  Before interviewing any of the applicants I
called around to find out what I would have to do to hire outside of the
U.S., and was finally referred to Immigration and Naturalization.  They told
me, essentially, to forget it.  There would be a lot of red tape and it
would cost a substantial amount of money.
There were, by the way, also about 30 applicants from the U.S. so there
would be no way to justify hiring outside the U.S. even if the non-U.S.
applicants were the highest qualified.  The good news is I hired a grad
student from California who was a great asset to my project.  Still, I wish
it was easier to cross borders.

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Curator of Collections