From:
Scott Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:54:07 -0500
Work with your local law enforcement officials they may be willing to help
with transport and even storage, especially if you have a good working
relationship with them.
For example, once upon a time I worked for a county historical society in
a certain rabidly anti-gun state. We had a number of firearms in the
collection, including a fully functional M-1 carbine and M-14 automatic
rifle.
Immediately after 9/11 the administration no longer felt comfortable
having these weapons within our building. We were not looking to remove
them from the collection, we just saw it as a safety and security issue.
Our solution was to work with the County Sheriff's Department, which
agreed to take custodianship of the weapons and keep them secured in the
county's armory. If they were needed for an exhibit, the Sheriff's
department would send an officer with the weapon, which would have had the
firing mechanism removed or disabled to prevent it from being fired. The
weapon would have then been secured in a locked case with the officer's
assistance.
As far as I know, the weapons have not been needed for any exhibits, and
they have not been removed from the collection.
But they are available for display if needed.

Scott Peters
--
732-492-9216

Jersely Speaking,  Minister of trivia, errata and miscellany --
 Founding Trustee, The Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County
 "The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are adventitious
 things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are frequently the
baubles of imbecility, or the sparkling decorations of meretricious
pageantry" William Griffith, 1803