From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:43:19 -0600
Would anyone like to provide me a little assistance with this barrage of
E-mail I am receiving?  A local emailed me last week wanting assistance
from the museum in accessing private, former plantation sites so that he
could hunt for relics with his metal detector.  I responded with an
explanation that we don't provide assistance to "pothunters."  I
attempted to explain that removing relics from a site to bolster private
collections or make money through flea marketing was not something
legitimate museums and archaeologists look kindly on.  I am now being
bombarded by pothunters from all over the country.  Time to rally our
forces.  If anyone cares to join the fracas, you will be welcomed.

Bob Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
Angleton, Texas
www.bchm.org