From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:10:19 -0400
I could not agree more with the comments made by John Martinson - and the
improper involvement of Board members in museum operations can do at least
as much harm in larger institutions as in small.

The Board is there to establish policy and to confirm that the plans made by
the museum are intended to carry out that policy and that it is satisfied,
by way of information received from the staff of the institution, that the
institution is being managed in a way that not only adheres to the policies
established but that is also in accordance with law. Different jurisdictions
impose different specific legal obligations on board members and this gives
Board members quite enough work to do. Museum boards act primarily in a
fiduciary capacity; that is to say that they act as the trustees of the
assets of the museum, be they physical, collections or whatever and this can
only be done in a credible manner if they act as what is seen to be an
arms-length relationship. It is an extension of the rinciple that justice
must not only be done, but must also be manifestly seen to be done. The
Board cannot, in my opinion, exercise its duties if it becomes involved in
the day to day operations of the museum that reports to it. This would
constitute a conflict of interest that would make its role as trustee
impossible to perform. Further, it is my considered opinion as an auditor of
twenty years' experience and, more recently, a Certified Fraud Examiner,
that allowing Board members to participate in day to day operations opens
the door to a variety of at least potential forms of abuse of trust.

Harry Needham
(formerly Director of Audit and Evaluation for the Canadian Museum of
Civilization Corporation)
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]