From:
Jason W Onerheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:31:31 CDT
Good advice, just one question, HOW is one to get experience?  Internship?
Only if mommmy and daddy have enough money for you to live a year w/o
income.  Work a second job?  Who will pay enough to live when your
internship is 30+ hrs. a week.  Work a lesser job and work on up?  First,
these jobs are just as hard to get as the PhD required jobs, and I've tried
that, I have a crappy job right now with little or no chance to "move up"
(of course I didn't know that when I started...)    Ah I see, everybody
wants to hire an experienced employee but are not willing to give that
experience in the form of a lesser job or try a qualified but less
experienced applicant.  I can see the need to hire the best appliant for
the job, fine but what the hell are the rest of us suppost to do?
Everybody here seems to talk and comment from their ivory tower, and really
doesn't know what it's like working a job you hate, eating ramen 7 days a
week just on the off chance an opportunity will come your way, and when it
does, there are 250+ applicants.  Great, so my choices are, somehow tell my
student loans, creditcards, and landlord that I won't be able to pay 'cause
I have an internship, or get a Ph.D be $100,000 in debt, and still be
shoved around by "lack of experience".  Fuck the status quo, I am sick and
goddam tired of putting up with this crap.  If you want a spineless
employee that will do only that which is required, with experience hire
that looser, if you want an employee that will stick up for himself, has
the balls to get something done, and with ideas and new innovations for the
position, but doesn't quite meet the experience requirements, hire me.

See, noone cares, what did you say after that last sentence?  He isn't
going to get anywhere...  I can appleshine with the best of them, but I
prefer to be honest and forthright.  I will not put up with crap from
anybody, whether you're a museum director with 7 degrees or a junky of the
street who came in for the free air conditioning.  And, I will be right, I
won't bother getting out of bed if my position is questionable so don't
even bother with that criticism.

so, now what?  What am I suppost to do?  I can't afford an intership,
style, drive and ambition will not make up for 6 measly months of
experience, I'm working a job I hate even though it is in a museum, and
every application I've made (100+ over 1 year) has been rejected for an
applicant with more experience.

One last thing, I apologize to any of you who may have been offended, I'm
looking for advice and I just wanted to show my frustration, so save your
ivy league dibble about my language, I need unfettered and honest advice,
please.

Jason

http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
> . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by
sending
> a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of
the

"Signoff