From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:06:40 -0800
A note to employers when writing job announcements:

Please PLEASE!! include salary ranges for your posts. In the museum world, this
is crucial because applicants would like to know if a jobs pays enough to live
on. We don't want to get rich, we want to pay off our student loans. I've gone
to interviews only to find out that the salary that was offered was less than
my student loan debt. This is a waste of my time and yours.

Secondly, people coming from outside of the museum world, especially industry,
are probably being paid much more than museum salaries. We know we are going to
take a pay hit and some of us get hit really hard. But we wouldn't have applied
for the job if we didn't want it. Salary histories are also not a good
indicator because some people are coming from very high paying jobs and I htink
this scares off potential employers who would never be able to come close to
those salaries. On the flip side,in the museum world, you can easily take a
position with greater responsibility that pays less than your previous job.

Deb Fuller