From:
Musynergy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 08:24:09 -0500
Staff and visitors have such different experiences in museums that it's no
wonder their behavior is different!  When visitors come into the museum,
all they see is the tip of the iceberg -- the exhibit with "Do Not Touch"
expressed or implied.  Unfortunately, that's not only true of infrequent
visitors, but of regular museum users, as well.  At the opening of a major
temporary exhibition, a seasoned trustee approached me and exclaimed,
"Everything looks magnificent tonight!  I'm always so amazed at openings.
It's as if (the director) walked into the gallery and flipped a switch and
everything came to life!"

If board members are unaware of the months of work by staff members in
many departments that lead up to that moment, how can the public have even
a hint of what it takes to develop an exhibit?  I like Richard
Rabinowitz's idea of inviting visitors into behind the scenes areas.
Lifting the curtain on some of the mysteries that take place in the bowels
of museums could have a big impact on visitors' behavior in the galleries.
It's also a way of showing respect for visitors that would probably have
the mutual benefit of increasing their respect for us and what we do.

On the other hand, the notion of occasionally opening up "staff only"
areas of the museum may strike terror in the hearts of some.  Are the
potential costs worth the benefits -- or vice versa?

Daryl Fischer