From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:55:19 -0700
Since moving here to Los Angeles some years ago I have gotten to know
quite a few people in the entertainment industry.

Not every film makes BIG money - some do and most don't. The fee for
locations vary depending on time, square footage of the house, office,
or warehouse used - interior and exterior, and whether filming happens
during the day or at night. Also fees can vary according to the city
or region (there is a designated zone in Los Angeles county that is
far more expensive for filming than outside of it). By all means do
research and find out what is customary for your region and situation,
but remember that if you have the mindset that every production is
overflowing with money then that will come across and you will
probably not be considered as a location. In reality very few
locations are actually an abosulte MUST for a producer and director -
if the cost is too high they will move on and find some other place
that can do just as well. If you can show that you have done research
and know the process as well as what is customary acording the the
vairables then your fee will probably be fine.

I would suggest that if you desire that your site be used for
potential filming that you talk to your state film office (or city
film office) and ask them to list you - with photographs and along
with the fee structure that you come up with.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator