From:
Pádraig Linskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 12:05:37 -0700
Hello Nicholas,
On Wednesday, April 30, 2003 at 07:03:38, you wrote:
> Didn't realize that factual information is now considered BS.

I think you are mixing statistical and anecdotal evidence. Where are you
getting your statistics, please?

> That being said, the average American works 240-260 days per year. The
> average US family income is around $48,00. Small retailers work 320 to
> 350 days per year. Average income of small retailers is
> $35,000-$45,000 per year (East Coast). 40 million American have no
> health insurance at all, and except for jobs with very strong unions
> the health insurance coverage of workers is decreasing, while co-pays
> and worker contributions are rising. In most industry jobs two weeks
> vacation at a time is getting to be a luxury. And while taking leave
> during the school term is difficult and often has negative
> consequences, in some school systems one can accumulate leave and sick
> days. A school teacher friend retired last year at 58 and had so much
> accumulated time that he reported for work for a total of 4 days in
> his final year

All undoubtedly factual, even the anecdote about a friend and teacher. I
believe U.S. workers work an average of five more weeks per year than
their European counterparts, and that the U.S. work force is the most
productive in the world.

Instead of squabbling about teachers' pay and museum workers' pay,
shouldn't we be discussing the abysmal working conditions, pay and
benefits for most U.S. workers. What can be done about this dreadful
mess?

It seems to me that honest unions are needed to re-balance the scales
and bring back the "american dream"; i.e., a large economic middle
class.
<end soapbox>

--
Regards,