From:
David Strain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:47:31 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/98 9:21:04 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<Why don't you talk to the Smithsonian or Library of Congress? The National
Museum of American History used to have a weekend docent program for
volunteers. It was fun and rewarding. I imagine these large institutions
would love more volunteers. There are MANY wonderful museums in the DC
Metro area. You just have to make some calls and visits.

I have talked with SI, LoC and others and my options are very limited.  Docent
is one of the options, except, unfortunately, my "people" skills are not very
good.  I'll keep looking.

Why are volunteer/intern positions, other than Docent, generally not available
in the evening or weekend??? Is the issue security/trustworthiness? Or limited
training/education? Just curious.

David Strain