From:
murph the surf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 00:12:37 -0400
Susan Wageman opines:
>In some ways, the museum field is a lot like acting. Aspiring actors wait
>tables, work construction jobs, and do whatever they can to make money,
[snip]

Like most artists.

I still pay the rent by convincing people they are sick when they are not
and selling them medicine that don't need. Or I paint apartments of people
who think of that as "supporting artists."

Annecdote:

The director of Lincoln Center in New York hires a plumber. Who should show
up but Philip Glass, who had performed the night before at Lincon Center.
Glass and the sculptor Richard Serra live by being plumbers.

Stop this whining. Concentrate on how to make museums relevant today.

You will be rewarded. In the mean time, learn a marketable trade.

Love,

Rob

ROBBIN MURPHY
426 Broome Street, NYC 10013  212-925-1885
<i> i o l a </i> http://artnetweb.com/iola/