From:
Neal Stiffelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 19:56:34 -0800
The discussion on museum, educators salaries is a pertinent one.  I just
completed my MA in Museum Studies and am facing the reality.  I have the
knowledge, the drive and enthusiasm but am shocked by the low salaries of
the positions which I have been applying for.  At present to continue and
not let my skills get rusty I am volunteering.  I just competed for a part
time position and made it to the final cut, but the competition was fierce
with no benefits and who knows how much job security or upward movement.
Anyhow, I knew from the start that this would be a problem.  I guess the
quote which Michael McColgin cited about society valuing the skills and
exciting ideas which we possess is true.  The museum world is a wonderful
environment to work in but it sure is difficult to break into the "golden
gates" even with my credentials.  (US and Abroad).  I will keep striving
for my goals although, I do believe museum's exist for a relevant social
purpose and one which I respect and want to help develop to suit
societie's needs and of course the collections requirements and importance.

A Patient Museum Student
Naomi