From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:03:23 -0500

> Besides the Milwaukee airport, which other U.S. airports (or malls) have
> museums or museum extensions?

What exactly do you mean? I noticed a lot of people have been listing the myriad of aviation museum that are on airstrips-- such as American Airpower, EAA, Mid-Atlantic Aviation, College Park, the Santa Monica Museum of Flight (now closed) and many more--mostly the flying aviation museums. And these have a whole new set of issues, post-Sept 11 which have already forced the Santa Monica museum to close and start to find a new space.

As for museums IN airports-- I'm guessing you mean displays that travelers can look at while they travel? I love them-- when you have a long lay-over, you can spend like a big hunk of time in these exhibits and learn something. Cause you can only hang out in the airport shops so long. These are rarely museums, but normally a display mounted by a local museum (San Francisco has a "airport museum authority" or something like that- remember they posted a job here about a month ago). Often they are about the history of the airport or aviation in that area, but sometimes they are on other subjects.
In addition to the ones listed already, here are the ones I can think of:
Minneapolis (MN aviation history)
Washington National (the airport and the history of the site)
Baltimore-Washington International (mounted by NASM)

As for malls, the only one I can think of is the former Air Force Flight Test Center Museum at Edwards AFB. Now it is in a nice new building, although it is probably still closed to the public since it's on base, but in its previous home it was a store front on the base's strip mall, right in between the PX, barber shop, laundromat and such. Always found it strange- but well worth the visit.

Pamela Feltus