From:
Denni Medlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:38:58 -0700
Hi,

I just wanted to comment on Erica Maniez's question regarding a docent's
role in a museum.

I deal with two museum formats - one is a new 83,000 sq ft space and science
center, and the other is an observatory in a state park which offers public
programs.

The science center uses volunteers in the capacity of Erica's description
(excluding the gift store - they are not allowed to handle money.)  Our
volunteer manager holds extensive and mandatory customer service training
sessions consisting of four two -hour classes, with specialization classes
and in-training lectures throughout the year.  They are never called
docents, which generally in museum lingua means someone who is trained over
a (at least) six month period before being let out on the floor. The most
title they are given is "explainer."

In the state park setting, volunteers give the public program and operate
the gift store.  Before they are allowed to do this they must take a 12 hour
customer service training through the park's department, then specialize
training (in this case, on the telescope) before they can give a public
program.  Again, they are not considered docents, only volunteers.

Volunteers can be a very effective public face for a museum if they are
properly trained.  I've seen places where you just have to be enthused to
become a volunteer. You're given a speech about being friendly and helpful,
before being sent out into the fray.  It often makes for a confused (and
demoralized) volunteer and a disappointed visitor.

Again, the level of training is what makes a docent a docent vs. a
volunteer.  Generally speaking, unless a museum has staff/budget to spend
the time training a corps of docents, well trained volunteers can make a
huge impact on visitor experience.

Denni Medlock
Chabot Space and Science Center
Oakland, CA