From:
Carolyn Rebbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:36:09 -0500
Dear Mary,

Evidently Philips is saying that the amount of UV output is negligible.
400-700 nm is the part of the spectrum that is emitted by these lights and
is, in fact, in the visible rather than the UV range.  Watts are a measure
of power and there is no conversion between wavelength and watts.

Carolyn Rebbert

At 09:11 AM 12/17/98 -0800, you wrote:
>We recently purchased TL 70 series fluorescent lamps (bulbs and tubes) for
our museums and will be used in all of our exhibit spaces. I asked the
manufacturer, Philips Lighting, what the UV output of these bulbs are and
they answered "The UV wavelength is 400-700 nanometers which is visible
light." The problem is that the museum literature I have on lighting refers
to "microWatts per lumen" or mW/l.  Does anyone know how to calcuate the
nanometers into mW/l so I can really understand how much UV is being
emitted by these new bulbs? I assume that I need to put a UV filter over
each bulb. Thanks for any help!