From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:53:35 -0800
The Lost City Museum of Archaeology in Overton, Nevada seeks a curator/archaeologist.  The position is full-time, except for a required 4 hours of furlough a month.

The position is responsible to: 1) manage the collections including registration, preservation, conservation, security and appropriate use of artifacts in museum exhibits with a focus on archaeological artifacts from Ancestral Puebloans who lived in the Moapa Valley; 2) archaeology and research in support of the museum collections, often involving collaborative efforts with other state and federal agencies; 3) manage the museum's education program for students and adults, including programming school tours and adult public programs; 4) public outreach and event planning in support of the museum's mission.  The following link will take you to the full job announcement with instructions for applying with the State of Nevada.

https://nvapps.state.nv.us/NEATS/Recruiting/ViewAnnouncement.aep?recruitmentId=20917

The Museum was built by the CCC in 1935 to hold artifacts excavated before they were covered by Lake Mead.  It 1952 it became one of the seven Nevada state museums.  I came to Overton to become LCM’s director at the beginning of July and fell instantly in love with this very interesting and well-done small museum with a small but professional staff that works very well as a team.  The museums website, that we are in the process of enhancing, is athttp://museums.nevadaculture.org.

When I was deciding to leave the snow and ice of Alaska for warm, sunny southern Nevada, I found several references to the museum on Internet searches, including a couple of UTube tours.  Overton is surrounded by beautiful red-rock country and the canyons of southern Utah and northern Arizona.  Feel free to contact me with questions about the museum but apply through Nevada’s HR department.

Jerrie Clarke
Director
Lost City Museum
PO Box 2507