From:
Doug Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:41:11 -0600
Hi All,

I have to smile when I read about the trials and tribulations of "Paying for
College", I started college in 1966, I graduated in 1994.  Some men reach
their 40's or 50's, flip out, have an affair with a young blond and buy a
sports car.  I flipped out and gave myself a BA in Social Science.  No
student loans and just one small grant (less than $500 [US]).  I did not
work full time while in school, in fact I only worked one or two short term
part-time jobs.  I dated, had fun, was lonely, made a friend for life (she
is 19 years younger than me and blond, no we never dated), in general did
the things that most other undergrad's do.

I'm not rich, or famous, my parents were not wealthy (although they lead
rich lives), so how did I pay for college.  Well the U.S. taxpayers gave me
the money and all I had to do in return was go to Viet Nam three times and
spend about 24 years in the U.S. Military.

Most things worth having are not free, but you might end up paying for them
in something other than cold hard cash.

Doug