From:
Terry Vidal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:03:53 -0500
Dear List:

I have thoroughly researched digitization projects and standards and am
left with one nagging concern that I hope is fuel for fresh and
enlightening dialogue. What is the best master file format? TIFF or
JPEG.

Taking into account the studies done by the Smithsonian's' American
Museum of Natural History
(http://www.nmnh.si.edu/cris/techrpts/imagopts/) where it is proven that
JPEG compression is an acceptable technique, why are major digitization
projects (i.e. Colorado Digitization Project
http://coloradodigital.coalliance.org/)adopting the TIFF format?

Will adopting one or the other format affect the decisions of funding
organizations?

Should smaller institutions who have limited human and physical
resources bother with digitization projects if they cannot comply with
the 'standards' adopted by the 'status quo'?

Although I understand the technology of lossless vs. lossy compression -
concerns about metadata, cross-platform and software accessibility,
quality control and workflow; and concepts concerning efficiency,
storage mediums and economic and human resources; and concerns
surrounding ownership, image control and intellectual property rights -
others on the list may not. There are ample resources on the internet
with which one can educate them self (a good place to begin might be
http://images.library.uiuc.edu/resources/links.htm).

Considering the resources cited above, is there any question that JPEG
compression is more efficient and economically sound than TIFF?  Or that
high quality master JPEG images are indiscernible from their TIFF
equivalent (both onscreen and printout)? Is not the savings in dollars
between the two separate formats in terms of creation, storage and
access significant regardless of the size of the institution or the
collection? Does the indiscernible loss of data in the original
compression of a high quality JPEG out weigh its economic benefits? It
seems to me that derivatives of a high quality JPEG master can be
reconverted to a lossless format or allowed to degenerate depending on
use. Is this not a unique form of security and control for the museum?

The collective wisdom of those who may shed new light upon my
understanding is presently sought so that the counsel I give, to those
who make a decision on this matter at my institution, is sound and
evenly weighed.

TIA for any feed back.

Terry Vidal
Collections Manager