From:
Barbara Narendra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 11:19:48 EST
I still have most of the previous messages, if you'd like to see them.
This began with a *long* and heated discussion of the pros and cons of
using white-out to mark objects.  An authoritative, rather scolding
message from Karen Motyleski of the (nonprofit) Northeast Document
Conservation Center was followed by responses from (profit)
conservators who are miffed at the way the "superior" regional nonprofits
(who may or may not be skilled in all phases of conservation although they
suggest that they are) are cornering the market, and what was the
distinction between the two in...... oh, read it for yourself.  Interested?

On Tue, 13 Sep 1994 13:04:05 EST,
Ken Yellis  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Sep 1994 08:54:45 -0400, Aaron Goldblatt wrote:
>
>>...but this really is an issue with >larger ramifications, as we watch Disney
>ake Manasas. It may seem like a large
>>leap to make, but I sense a dichotomy being set up that is imaginary. The
>>discussion seems to indicate that the information non-profits have is somehow
>>less tainted by the drive for filthy lucre than anyone else.
>
>I have missed most of this correspondence so what follows may already have
>been said or be irrelevant, but I would suggest that the tax-exempt status
>accorded to non-profits is based on a distinction that is not imaginary,
>or, to put it another way, the recognition that the inevitable costs of
>at least some worthwhile activities -- whatever we mean by
>that -- cannot be recovered in the marketplace and that as a society we
>have some kind of stake in keeping them going.  It is also probably true
>that we have accepted the idea that the "information non-profits have is
>somehow less tainted" -- or at least that they are disinterested -- a fine
>word fallen into disuse, unfortunately -- in how they use that information
>and democratic and open in how they make it available.  Isn't that the
>deal?
>Ken Yellis
>Assistant Director for Public Programs
>Peabody Museum of Natural History
>170 Whitney Avenue
>Box 208118
>New Haven, CT 06520-8118
>(203) 432-9891/9816(fax)

Barbara Narendra.    Peabody Museum of Natural History, Yale University.