From:
Eric Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:29:56 -0400
Five museum and collection care classes start next month at http://www.museumclasses.org - Join us today.

Course topics include numbering objects, care of furniture and wood artifacts, artifact deterioration, abandoned property and plastics.

For more detailed descriptions of each course, go to http://www.museumclasses.org Each full course costs $425. To reserve a spot in any course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html

If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask] or Eric Swanson at [log in to unmask]

August Online Classes
MS208: Applying Numbers to Collection Objects: Materials and Methods of Object Numbering
              Aug 3 - Aug 28, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms208a.html

MS226: Care of Furniture and Wood Artifacts
              Aug 3 - Aug 28, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Craig Deller
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms226a.html

MS213a: Museum Artifacts: How they were made and how they deteriorate
              Aug 3 - Sep 11, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms213a.html

MS303a: Found in the Collection: Orphans, Old Loans and Abandoned Property
              Aug 3 - Sep 11, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Lin Nelson-Mayson
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms303a.html

MS001: The Problem with Plastics (short course)
              Aug 10 - 14, 2009
              Price: $75
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Link: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms001a.html

Student Comments for MS208: Applying Numbers to Collection Objects:
All in all, I learned more than I thought I would. I and my colleagues are eager to have the handouts in a binder for immediate and future reference.

I loved the practical assignments. I loved the feedback from Helen. And I loved the live chat sessions.

The organization of the course was excellent - readings were well-constructed and well-placed within the greater course context . I was pleased that we had homework where we were expected to apply some of the concepts we'd read about.

I liked the ability to receive instruction without having to leave my office or go out of town.

I was able to learn so much about numbering museum items that I did not know. I had tried to do research on the Internet and had found some things, but nothing like what we covered through the course.

Student Comments for MS213: Museum Artifacts: How they were made and how they deteriorate:
All created and selected materials were very informative and flowed together. I like the power point slides. It's like note taking for me, summarizing the lecture. After the course I always go back and read various sections again. They are excellent reference materials.

Classmates from all over the world made it interesting for our assignments.

Always enjoy instructor involvement for the professional input and advice.

The downloadable manual and materials were excellent. The course content was very thorough. The syllabus set up access online was very good, listed clearly. The chats were great, and the calls/prompts to participate were very much appreciated.

I liked the readings a lot because I knew they were hand selected by the instructor and therefore were the most accurate and relevant materials for the course.

The interaction with other participants, sharing their experiences and their knowledge was eye opening. As we have different collections, different problems we might come across and different areas of experience, we can definitely learn from each other.

Student Comments for MS303: Found in the Collection:
It covered situations which I am encountering in my work. It showed me where to look to answer questions about the legal aspects of FIC objects. It made me aware of the weakness of current Abandoned Property laws in my state (and apparently most others). I found the lectures and readings very helpful.

I liked being able to work on the materials at my own pace. The feedback from the instructor was very helpful. My favorite part of the course were the online chats. These were very engaging and it was great way to discuss issues and find solutions to the challenges our collections pose.

I thought the course was very helpful and the technology worked wonderfully for me. The lectures were very helpful in giving an overview and did a good job of summarizing the major points. I thought the readings were especially helpful in gaining different perspectives about the issues. It was interesting to see other institutions' policies and procedures.