From:
"Farar P. Elliott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:46:44 -0400
Perhaps my colleagues can help me and ease my worried mind.  Gosh, I hope
so....

Our custodian of 7 years this morning gave his notice, citing a desire to
drop this part-time job to spend more time at home, a frustration with the
financial situation here which precludes doing any job well and forces all
kinds of jerryrigging in a quirky building, lack of respect and
appreciation from the trustees and not enough pay.  All of these reasons
are indisputable from my end, and despite my pleadings, I am faced with
hiring a new custodian and general repair person just two months into my
first directorship.  This institution has relied heavily on our
custodian's ingenuity and knowledge of the building for a long time, and I
have not yet learned even a portion of what he knows about the place.

So, can museum-l folk offer suggestions as to what to look for in a museum
custodian and building management person for a small institution?  I
realize that walking on water would be nice, but realistically, what have
proven to be the qualities that are absolutely necessary, and what are the
ones you have had to abandon?

Many thanks for your help!

Farar Elliott
Executive Director
Ethan Allen Homestead Trust
1 Ethan Allen Homestead, Suite 2
Burlington, VT  05401
802.865.4556

"The gods of the hills are not the gods of the valleys."  --Ethan Allen