From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:29:58 +0100
Further to Peter Van Mensch's reply (below):

The refusal of the Trustees to have any sort of major ceremonial opening may
have reflected their anger at the way in which the Keeper of the Natural
History Departments (and first director of the separate South Kensington site)
Richard Owen, had used his Tory political connections to force through a
break-up of the integrated British Museum.  This separated the biological
and geological collections from the archaeology, history and library
collections, (a move strongly opposed by many distinguished scientists
also).  At that time the Board of Trustees served the British Museum as a
whole, including the physically separate  BM (Nat.Hist.) at South
Kensington.  Indeed the Natural History Museum has only had a separate
Board of Trustees for a little over 30 years.

Perhaps this was one way in which the Trustees could show their
displeasure at the activities of a disloyal, out of control, Richard Owen
- though I must admit that when I had the nerve to present such a
hypothesis at the Nat. Hist. Museum's Richard Owen centenary conference
two years ago there were howls of rage from the Owen Industry!

Patrick Boylan