From:
Angelica Daneo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:02:04 +0200
Dear all,

my name is Angelica Daneo and I have just graduated (25th of June) in Modern
Literature with an emphasis on History of Art at the University of Turin
(which means at least ten examinations focused on art history). I developed
a one-year thesis about the History of Art Criticism and the title concerned
the attention towards the collecting themes in the English speaking
periodicals ("Apollo", "The Art Bulletin", "The Burlington Magazine" and
"The Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes") during the first
edition (1963) of Patrons and Painters by Francis Haskell.

Since the 1st of August 1999 thorough the 16th of October 1999 I worked in
Washington DC for the Smithsonian Institution where I had the chance of
experiencing different realities, working for the National Air and Space
Museum and the National Museum of American Art.

My "dream" would be to double my experience in the US by working again in
the Museum's field. My grand mother was american (my desire must be in my
DNA) and my stage at the Smithsonian helped me realize that we (I am talking
about Italians and this is MY personal opinion) rely too much on the artwork
itself as if it was able to convey a message all alone, which is basically
true, but there must be an audience! I was astonished to know that the NASM
is the most visited museum in the world. I am sure few people in Italy
(should I say Europe) do realize that. I am sure that the passion for
airplanes does not explain this fact entirely. Italian museums are full of
visitors when there is the occasion for big events, otherwise people (I am
not talking about foreign visitors) are not "attracted" ...I do not intend
to put the blame on my country, but I feel US has much to teach and I would
like an opportunity of a mutual influence.
That is the point of my neverending email: would you be so kind to show me
the best way to apply for a job (I have already turned back to the
Smithsonian, but I would like to know whether there are other options) in
the US?

My University course lasts (and I have just graduated) four years plus one
for the thesis: we are asked to work for almost one year on a specific title
and at the end, after we have printed a book, we are asked to discuss our
results in front of a professors'commission.

Thank you for your patience.
Best regards,
Angelica Daneo