From:
Stephen Lockwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:58:01 -0700
Regarding "My small contribution there can't begin to
pay for them and their upkeep.":

Unfortunately, in California, arts funding has really hit a low point,
even for large institutions. Funding from the State is all but gone.
Those museums fortunate enough to receive City funding have to compete
with essential services like police, fire protection and health care.
In San Francisco, our city museums were asked again to cut their
budgets for this fiscal year. Many city museums, which the public
believes are paid from tax revenues, only receive a fraction of their
support in this manner (20-30%).

Let's not forget all the public programs supported by private
foundations and wealthy patrons. We are fortunate enough to receive
money from a private foundation to make our Museum free to the public
every Tuesday. As far as I know, San Francisco school children can
still visit their municipal museums free of charge. Which leads me to
admissions fees....

We are expected to generate 25-30% of our revenue from admissions fees.
Ours are about what you would expect to pay to see a movie. This is not
an inconsequential amount for a family. I am also old enough to
remember when some art museums were a free service, but I also remember
paying to get into museums, zoos and aquariums even back in the 60's.
These are not easy economic times and art museums are doing the best
they can to generate revenue without alienating visitors.

Stephen Lockwood
Senior Museum Registrar
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco