From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 16:28:44 -0500
As a newcomer to this exchange, I've watched the dialogue over "museums and
people of color."

I'd like to suggest opening up this "thread" to all populations who have
been, and are, disadvantaged for whatever the reason.

For example, I think it's perfectly appropriate for a museum that raises
millions of dollars from traditional sources to also be a repository for
money, food and clothing for those in need who live nearby.  To that
extent, it is truthfully "an adjunct" to the community in which it resides,
and to those agencies providing services to that community.

The question of creating exhibits about "people of color" and other ethnic
cultures seems, to me, to be the wrong question.  Will the disadvantaged
(or even many of  the advantaged) from these cultures come to the museum to
absorb these exhibits?  There is experience to show that this audience just
doesn't really care.  The traditional museum-goer does care for diversity,
but really as a learning experience and not to stimulate his/her concern
for the "have-nots."

This is not to advocate that our missions be changed.  Instead, it IS to
urge that we see our museums as human institutions, responsible for
collections, interpretation, and education -- but human to the extent that
we share with social services agencies some commitment to the overlooked.

In the Appalachian region, (and this is populated by disadvantaged who fit
no ethnic category known to me), we are committed more and more to programs
that bring isolated folks into contact with their heritage.  We collect
nonperishable foods instead of admission fees for special events.  We are a
convenient drop point for good used children's clothing.  Our staff at
Christmas no longer exchanges gifts; we shop for a specific family's basic
needs for shoes and durable winter clothing.

We find that teenagers at risk, with proper supervision, will achieve the
thrill of accomplishment by learning how to construct an exhibit setting,
rearrange landscaping, clean artifacts, create a split-rail fence....learn
blacksmithing and demonstrate it, create art from their own imaginations
and experiences....Rarely are we disappointed in them, and we learn from
the experiences as well.

So, Farar P. Elliott's soapbox rendition comes close to this point.  But we
don't need to "go to" the centers for society's overlooked and hidden.  We
can open up our doors to them in ways that are meaningful. We can serve
some of their bread and butter needs by letting our patrons and donors know
that, as often wealthy institutions saying we serve our communities, "we
are expected to care."   We'll be stronger in the long run, and more
capable of remaining focused on our priorities, if we integrate
meaningfully with the larger community.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum - Tazewell Va.