From:
VivianLea Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:24:07 -0500
Greetings all - After being out last week, I saw this thread and, as a 18th
century living historian (i.e. Rev War reenactor) I had to weigh in.  PLEASE
note that stays and corsets are two different garments as Carol has pointed
out.  Stays, whilst some may have tabs at the bottom, basically stop at the
waist.  Corsets, however, came down further on the hips.  They basically
created two very different body shapes - stays, what I describe as an
"inverted triangle" and corsets, the waspish figure.  (In the 18th century,
the desired posture or 'look' was shoulders back, a smooth front and a
narrow waist with the bum accented by a bum roll.  (Talk about something
that doesn't compute in today's world...padding your bum to make it look
bigger!?! ;-)

In scanning the previous responses, I believe that most of the resources
would provide you with corsets.  If, in the course of your research, you
find she was an 18th century person, try googling Revolutionary War clothing
or sutlers and you can find reproduction stays.

Good luck!  Best, VivianLea

VivianLea Stevens
Curator
Old Barracks Museum