From:
Helen Collinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 12:34:33 -0600
Questions re. Print Room facility.  We are planning a multi-use facility.
Access to the prints will be under supervision of staff person. Room will
be used as a site for practicum and museum studies activities as well as
a viewing area for art students and others. As many as 15 to 20 people
could be in the room at one time. Classes would be held in a lecture/
demonstration format.

We would like to benefit of the experiences (good and bad) of others who
have undertaken this activity in the recent past. Solander boxes and
plann chests will hold the matted prints and drawings. Portfolios to be
stored either in solander boxes or in plan chests. Open shelving is
planned for the solandr boxes.

1) What are the most suitable materials to use for the open shelving to
support the solander boxes? Take into account conservatorial concerns
such as off-gassing, damage to exterior of solander boxes from
abrasiooon, dust accumbulation. Also cost, aethetics and design. Space is
at a premium. We are interested in getting your opinions on the
significant differences you have found and how these differences relate
to the cost.

2) What is you opinion regarding carpeting ? Relative
attributes of wool or synthetic.

3) Any opinions on the optimum height for viewing tables,
seating and what kind, maximum height for solander obx storage
racks.

4) Any experience with ladder systems for retrival of prints
from a height overhead. Is this at all practical?

5) We will have a hung ceiling. Any suggestions re. Materialls
that are good for this purpose. off-gassing? hydroscopic
properties, good looks.

6) What is your opinion of the storage of very large tprints (4
x 8 ft) in frames on apinting racks?

7) As a bonus, any bright lighting suggestions?

Please send answers direct to my address and thank you very much. Helen.