From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:03:58 -0500
Deb, from another list serve I'm on...a UK member...
Candace Perry

Does this help?

http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/projects/ganzies.htm

It seems as if it was indeed the knitted garment, originally known as
a 'froke'.  The distortion into the feminine 'frock' seems to be a
red herring...  Although the article begins by saying it was the
knitted gansey garment, but further down refers to canvas frokes.