From:
Peter Trowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 10:41:36 +0100
Dear Colleagues,

Does anyone have any comments/experience regarding the long term loan of
Museum objects to other museums and possibly corporate institutions in
return for a guaranteed hire fee?

We're currently looking at what to do with some duplicate items of
high-profile Mackintosh furniture which we would otherwise keep in store.
(In some cases, we have 20 or more chairs of exactly the same design!) We
believe that one or more organisations might just be interested in acquiring
some of this work, on long term loan, to form part of their existing,
permanent displays.

Obviously, we'd need to be fully satisfied over the choice of venue, as well
as environmental, conservation, security and insurance issues but are there
any obvious pitfalls?

As an institution, we don't want to be seen to be lowering our professional
standards and we don't really want to enter into an ethical minefield
either. However, if there's an opportunity to increase our institutional
profile (through these loans), it lessens the pressure on our own limited
storage facilities and we also gain financially out of it, then all well and
good.

Your comments would be much appreciated.
Peter Trowles  M.Litt., FRSA
Taffner Curator, Mackintosh Collection
Glasgow School of Art
167 Renfrew Street