From:
Putnam Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:06:53 -0800
Your perception of the professional standards is correct -- at least in
the sense that the Association of Fundraising Professionals has published
standards, adopted by the membership, that deny association membership to
grantwriters who work on such terms. The Evangelical Council for Financial
Accountability has a similar restriction for its member organizations.

There's a great deal of controversy about this issue; you can get a taste
of how the arguments go by looking at the "Fundraising" section of the
Nonprofit FAQ at http://www.nonprofits.org/

(My own personal view is that contingency fees in fundraising corrupt the
relationship between the organization and its donors.  I mention the
controversy only to be candid that not everyone accepts this view.)

Putnam Barber
The Evergreen State Society
Seattle, WA  USA