From:
Karen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:35:16 -0400
Katie Jones:  Proper storage materials are essential to ensure the
long-term stability of photographs.  It is critical that they be
unreactive, act as a barrier between the photo and the environment, and
provide physical support. Enclosures should meet ANSI Standard IT9.2-1991
and have passed the Photographic Activity Test as specified in ANSI NAPM
IT9.16-1993.  You can order these standards by calling 1-800-282-6476 (NISO
Press Fulfillment Center, Oxon Hill, MD).

The NEDCC has an excellent Technical Leaflet titled "Care of Photographs"
which can be accessed through our Home Page at URL
<http://www.nedcc.org/phocar.htm>, or by contacting us directly if you
would prefer a paper original.  This publication has all the details
necessary to assist with the storage environment, handling, storage
systems, and enclosures.

Good luck with your project!   Karen

At 06:20 PM 9/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>We all have boxes or drawers of photographs from special events or programs.
> I have decided to tackle that box of mine and am seeking advice on how to
>store these photographs.  Some possibilities I have considered include:
>photo albums (but what kind)
>photo boxes with dividers to divide by event (but what kind)
>
>Any suggestions which anyone may have woulod be appreciated.
>Answer on or off list.
>Many Thanks!
>
>Katie Jones
>Collections Manager
>New Jersey Vietnam Era Educational Center

Karen E.K. Brown
Field Service Representative
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square