From:
Sarah Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:58:36 -0500
Hillary,

When I was in elementary school we did a project based on the Red Fish, Blue
Fish book by Dr. Seuss.

We stuffed white paper bags (lunch bags?) with newspaper to form the body of
a fish and then tied the top about 2-3 inches down to form a tail.  Then we
glued 'stuff' to our fish to indicate different professions or
personalities.  (Can't remember if we decorated first and then stuffed the
bag but I think the stuffing was first)  I remember a ballerina fish and one
creative kid made a tree fish (he glued lots of paper leaves and some real
ones to his fish like scales and said it was a fish that lived in the
forest).  Mine was a junk fish because I found a lot of washers, hooks and
screws to attach.

While we were working our teacher had a short discussion about everyone
being different -- likes and dislikes, professions, skin color, eye color,
etc.  As you can see the project made a lasting impression upon at least one
student!

Sarah Andrews
Woodrow Wilson House
2340 S Street, NW