From:
Steve Noskowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 22:29:50 GMT
Bruce C. Craig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...Northwest Herald newspaper...Crystal Lake, IL   (actually Woodstock) ...
> ... On Monday, September 5, that
> paper featured an article about the ongoing controversy with
> the headline:  "Atomic bombers criticize Enola homosexual
> exhibit."

Indeed the truth.    But the (non)joke was on me...
    I (did) receive the Herald.   I saw the headline and read the article.
I suspected it was about the Enola Gay from the headline, that's why I read
it.  However, I must admit that I did not "get it" at the time - the
substitution connection that is.  I know the war story and am familiar with
the name of the airplane, but just missed the "pun".  After reading it, I
just thought it was aother "random" glitch  because there was no mention of
any homosexual issues. In fact, I even remember thinking "Stupid paper! -
didn't even get to the point!"... as usual.
     Several days later, driving home, a radio story on the controversy
caused me to "understand" the substitution.  Duh!...had a chuckle on
myself. :-)
   About two weeks later, the editor took a quarter column to (I believe)
apologize and take responsibility.  He normally rambles a lot so I'm not
sure what points he was trying to make, or if he offered an explanation - I
don't read him much.  I'm amazed I saw both articles, I read so little of
it.
     Wish I'd saved it.

  My opinion is that this is a dinky little paper that says a lot of dumb
things.  Hmmm, that's pretty much my opinion of most papers.  I believe Abe
Lincoln said that it is better to remain silent and be thought stupid, than
to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Regards
Steve Noskowicz,  (Wonder Lake Il.)

Internet - The Information back roads of the future.