From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:48:32 -5
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Rebecca
Patchett) writes:
> Hello all.  I am seeking advice.. What is the best way to store eggs in a
> museum collection?  What, specifically, has worked in your museums?  Our eggs
> are in need of protection.
>
> Rebecca Patchett
> Curatorial Assistant
> Metro Washington Park Zoo

Our eggs are currently stored in 2 ways, although we have a volunteer
transferring them to one.  The system we are leaving was to have each egg set
on ground wood bits (I don't know the actual term for the stuff--it's gritty,
not dust) in shallow, unlidded boxes.  The boxes are generally deep enough that
the eggs don't stick up above them, or do so only a little (in the case of
larger species).  The boxes are in our standard drawers in specimen cases.  The
only problem with this method is that the wood bits flatten out with any
vibration, forming a flat surface on which the eggs roll.  For that reason, we
are transferring them to "nests" made of cotton.  In the same boxes, we put
down a layer of cotton, lay the eggs on, and pad all around each egg with more
cotton.  This keeps them from bumping the sides and each other.

We then stick a small (about 3x5 cm) ID slip upright in the back of the box,
with catalogue number, species, general locality, date, and collector.  These
slips look much like the labels on our skeleton boxes.  The actual egg data
slips (which are often much larger) are stored in envelopes in a separate
cabinet.

We have about 10,000 egg sets, nearly all collected the first half of this
century.  We've seen no problem with the cotton nests (some of which go
back to the beginning of this institution), unless the cotton is allowed to
stick up high enough to contact the underside of the next drawer.  Then the
cotton can be pulled when either drawer is pulled open, and this can disturb
the eggs.  Other than that, we're very happy with the system.

Robin Panza                          [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds
Carnegie Museum of Natural History