From:
Katherine Stocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:44:03 -0400
Colleagues,
I apologize if I am addressing something that has already been addressed,
but I get this list in digest form and am sometimes behind the current. My
question to most museums is "why on earth would you not stay open?" It is
times like these that we need to be available as a place of solace and
refuge to our visitors. History makes us aware of who we are and have been,
art of what we are capable of when we leave ourselves, and science of what
we can be. Though flawed, it is a magnificent world that we live in, full of
human beings of amazing perserverance, talent, and intelligence. We museums,
as the trustees of objects that show what human beings are capable of, have
a responsibility at this time to be open and available for a world that is
very much in pain at what human beings are capable of. I suppose I can
envision a museum that has content that would be a little sensitive in this
particular situation, but most of us need to be available for those who need
us.
Katherine
Katherine Stocker
Associate Registrar/Collections & Exhibitions Assistant
Mint Museum of Art/Mint Museum of Craft + Design
2730 Randolph Road
Charlotte, NC 28207
704-337-2020
fax: 704-337-2101