Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:53:14 -0400
Dear Colleagues:

I (and not a few others) receive the numerous daily postings to museum-l in
digest mode.  This means (for those of you not familiar with digest mode)
that we get one message a day with all the posts and an index to them so we
can read what we want to read and not bother with the rest.

For us, attachments are ugly to say the least.  In the spirit of
collegiality, I  ask that people cease sending attachments  - especially
long ones - to the whole list.  For us 'digesters', attachments are not
true attachments - rather they follow each message and are always
illegible.

Recently valuable information pertaining to art and law was sent as an
attachment - twice.  While some subscribers no doubt found this attachment
extremely useful, for those of us receiving this huge 748K illegible
attachment -  see a sample of what we get in the snippet below - it merely
served to clog up the works  - going on for pages and pages and pages and
more pages (kind of reminiscent of sections of Douglas Davis' long sentence
<http://math240.lehman.cuny.edu/sentence1.html>

I am fortunate to have a relatively fast modem so I didn't have to wait for
more than a few minutes for museum-l to download, but I pity those people
who are connected at a slower speed.

So again, please spare us attachments!  Please, send them privately to
those who request them,  send  the URLs to the list, or provide telnet
addresses.  Thanks for your consideration!

Suzanne Quigley

snippet...
AAAAAACAAAAjgAAAb5hcnQgbGF3c1RFWFRUQkI2AQAAAACB=0DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/v=
FKy/7xUY9LbQwA/3V8NwAAAQAAAAE8AAAAPAAAAIIAaHR0=0DcDovL2FydHMudXNmLmVkdS9tdXN=
ldW0vcGl4L1VTRkJ0Ry5naWYAQHIpN8FSGTcFAAAAAAAA=0DAABodHRwOi8vYWRmb3JjZS5pbWdp=
cy5jb20vP2Fkc2Vydnw5fDEyODM5fDF8Mzd8bWlzYz1f=0DQURGT1JDRV9USU1FXwDMoZ9DLzfv3=
Cs3CgAAAAAAAAAAaHR0cDovL3N0YWRpdW13ZWIuY29t=0DL3RoZV9yZWdpc3RyYXRpb25fb2ZfYW=
5fYXJ0d29yay9pbWFnZXMvn0MvN+/cKzcKAAAAAAAA=0DAABodHRwOi8vc3RhZGl1bXdlYi4AAAA=
WAAEAAAAAAAsACQAEAAAACQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC=0D//4AAAAIACoABgF8Am4AAAAIAAIydQAB

Museum-L" (without the quotes).