From:
Dina Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:41:07 -0500
Marilynn,

Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough comments -- lots to think about!

Dina

________________________________
Dina Rose Friedman
Site Director, Sunnyside Restoration

Historic Hudson Valley
150 White Plains Road
Tarrytown, NY 10591
(914) 591-8763 Ext. 13

>>> Marilynn Havelka <[log in to unmask]> 12/31/2009 3:18 PM >>>
Hello Dina - we have a large site and rent out our Coach House for
weddings and functions, the outdoor gazebo and garden but not the
mansion.  We  provide the space  only as well so those  renting  have to
bring everything  but we do have tables and chairs if they wish to use.
See my answers below in CAPS after your questions.

Dina Friedman wrote:
> Greetings and almost Happy New Year and Happy New Decade!
>
> We are looking to increase our revenue stream by increasing our site's ability to attract rental clients.  I have looked in the listserv archives and haven't found a recent discussion on this topic.
>
> I work at historic site and our rental season is from mid-May to mid-October. The space that we rent is tented outdoor courtyard that can seat up to 120 people and leave room for a small dance floor.  We also have two very pretty sites for ceremonies and the cocktail hour is often held by our historic home that is right on the Hudson River -- very picturesque and atmospheric for the right couple. (we largely host weddings).  Since we are not a catering hall, the clients and caterers have to bring in everything. In the go-go 90's and early oo's we had up to 15 affairs a year but in recent years the number has dwindled.  I am looking to figure out why and bring the figure back up.  So here are some questions -- any answers and thoughts would be most appreciated. Please feel free to respond to all or any of them. I imagine that other colleagues are interested in this topic as well so please post to the list.
>

> 1)  Who books the rentals at your museum?  The reservations dept, marketing, visitor services or is there a separate department for rentals?

WE HAVE A LARGE SITE WITH FEW STAFF - NO DEPARTMENTS BUT EACH STAFF WITH
AN AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY SO WE CAN ALL ANSWER QUESTIONS WHEN CLIENTS
CALL. HOWEVER, I FEEL THE BEST WAY TO MANAGE IS TO HAVE ONE PERSON DEAL
WITH THE CLIENT. THIS WAY THE INFORMATION IS CONSISTENT AND THE CLIENT
HAS A CONTACT. WE JUST HIRED A REPLACEMENT FOR OUR OFFICE COORDINATOR
AND I BUILT THE RENTAL FUNCTION INTO HER JOB DESCRIPTION AS OPERATIONS
COORDINATOR.
ABOVE ALL I WOULD HAVE A POLICY IN PLACE AND A CONTRACT AVAILABLE
BETWEEN THE RENTOR/CLIENT AND SITE WITH EVERYONE INVOLVED KNOWLEDGEABLE
ABOUT THE RESTRICTIONS ETC.(NO CONFETTI, NOT ATTACHING MATERIALS TO THE
BUILDINGS).
> 2) Do you have an exclusive caterer?  A preferred caterer(s)? An in-house caterer?

NO BUT IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A FEW WHO KNOW THE SITE AND
PERHAPS CAN TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE FUNCTION. I HAVE STAFF ON SITE
DURING FUNCTIONS WHO ARE THERE FOR QUESTIONS, LOCK-UP. I AM ALSO
THINKING OF USING CATERERS WHO ARE LICENCED SO THAT THE LIQUOR LICENCE
CAN BE TAKEN CARE OF BETWEEN THE CLIENT AND CATERER. HOWEVER THIS DOES
NOT REMOVE THE ISSUE OF LIABILITY INSURANCE WITH RESPECT TO SERVING ALCOHOL.
> 3)  What are the advantages and disadvantages with working with an in-house, exclusive, preferred or random caterers?
> IN-HOUSE - I WOULD NOT LIKE TO BE IN THE FOOD BUSINESS - TRIED IT BEFORE AND IT IS TIME CONSUMING, REQUIRES LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE STAFF WHEN NOT BUSY, YOU WOULD NEED TO INVEST IN THE EQUIPMENT INCLUDING THE KITCHEN ETC.

EXCLUSIVE MIGHT BE ALRIGHT BUT LIMITS OPTIONS FOR CLIENT, AND IF
SOMETHING GOES WRONG THEN YOU ARE STUCK WITH THEM. ALSO YOU DO NOT HAVE
DIRECT CONTROL ON CUSTOMER SERVICE ETC. - COMPLAINTS ARE STILL YOURS
BECAUSE THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE.

PREFERRED IS A GOOD IDEA PROVIDING YOU ARE NOT GOVERNMENT WHO NEEDS TO
BE SEEN AS NOT BEING EXCLUSIVE. THERE ARE CATERERS THAT ARE GREAT TO
WORK WITH AND HAVE HAD GOOD FEEDBACK WITH - WE KEEP THEIR INFO. AND
CARDS AVAILABLE FOR CLIENTS.
RANDOM- THEN THIS IS UP TO THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE CLIENT AND CATERER
EXCEPT THEY MAY NOT BE FAMILIAR WITH YOUR SITE SO YOU NEED TO HAVE AN
AGREEMENT IN PLACE TO HANDLE THE FUNCTION..
> 4) What kind of deals do you work out with them?  For example -- does the caterer pay a yearly fee to use your site?  Do they give you a percentage of their payment per party?  Any thing else?

NO BECAUSE THE CLIENT GETS THE CATERER - BUT NOT A BAD IDEA.
> 5)  How do you promote rentals or alternative site use?

WORD OF MOUTH IS BEST BY THOSE WHO HAVE ATTENDED AN EVENT. ALSO THROUGH
OUR WEBSITE, BROCHURE.  WE ALSO HAVE A BOOTH  AT LOCAL BRIDAL SHOWS ETC.
> 6) Do you ever do cross promotion with the caterer or other vendors?
THINKING OF DOING THIS - CATERER CAN PUT A TABLE TOGETHER WITH DISHES
AND OTHER EQUIPMENT THAT THEY HAVE.

> 7)  What makes your facility attractive to potential renters?

AMBIENCE, HISTORIC BUILDINGS,  LOTS OF SPACE,  VENUE  ON A LARE TREED
SITE OVERLOOKING THE GRAND RIVER,  LOTS OF PARKING, SITE IS PRIVATE.
THINK THAT COUPLES ARE LOOKING FOR  ALTERNATIVE  LOCATIONS OTHER THAN A
HALL OR HOTEL ETC.
> 8) Why do you loose clients?

BUILDING NOT AIR CONDITIONED, THE BUILDING NOT BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD SIT
DOWN WEDDINGS OF OVER 120. CLIENTS/CATERER HAVE TO BRING IN FOOD ETC.
SOME JUST WANT A CEREMONY AND CANNOT RISK THE WEATHER (AND DO NOT WANT
TO PAY FOR THE BUILDING AS WELL AS THE GROUNDS).
> 9) Do you have a sliding scale re charging based on how big the party is?

WE USE THE TIME AS INDICATOR OF FEES. SAT. AFTERNOON IS ONE RATE AND
AFTER 5 PM ON SAT. THE PRICE IS ALMOST DOUBLE. OUR RATES ARE REASONABLE.
> 10) Any other thoughts about alternative site uses and strategies to increase their frequency at museums and historic site?

THINKING ABOUT BETTER ACCESS FOR THE CATERER. WE HAVE A FEW TENTS THAT
CAN BE RENTED AS WELL. OUR TABLES ARE ONLY RECTANGULAR - WE SHOULD
PURCHASE ROUND TABLES SO THEY TOO CAN BE RENTED. OUR PROBLEM IS STORAGE
- WE HAVE TO CARRY EQUIPMENT FROM ONE BUILDING TO THE OTHER. WE NEED TO
HAVE A BETTER CONTRACT SO THAT GARBAGE REMOVAL AND CLEANUP IS MORE
STREAMLINED.
THE RENTALS DO PROVIDE AN  ADDITIONAL REVENUE STREAM  WHICH WE HAVE
BENEFITED FROM AND HAS ALSO BROUGHT PEOPLE TO OUR SITE WHO WOULD NOT
HAVE OTHERWISE COME OR WERE NOT AWARE OF. LOCAL BED AND BREAKFASTS HAVE
BENEFITED AS WELL
WE PROVIDE TOURS OF THE MANSION AT A REDUCED FEE AND THIS HVE BEEN
POPULAR TO OCCUPY GUESTS BETWEEN A CEREMONY AND DINNER WHILE THE BRIDAL
PARTY AR HAVING PICTURES TAKEN.
IF I CAN PROVIDE ANY FURTHER INFORMATION LET ME KNOW.
CHEERS
MARILYNN

--
Marilynn Havelka