From:
Kathrine L Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 08:57:05 -0600
To Lenoard Will -

Your question is one that I believe many art museum/galleries either
grapple with or should be grappling with.  I have been in many situations
where curatorial staff would like the art work to stand on its own.  As
an educator very concerned with the public, I can never let it stand!
(I've even been told that labels interfere with the aesthetics of the
exhibition design!)

Two things usually come about.  Auxiliary materials that visitors can
pick up to help them understand or some type of docent/tour guide lead
programming.  At least if layers of information are provided, the visitor
has a chance to get help.  I suppose this allows the afficianado to
interact with the art on his/her own level without interference from us
pesky educators.

I agree that we need to question what the role of museums is.  The
American Association of Museums "Excellence and Equity" statement clearly
encourage museums to educate and serve the public.  Assisting in visual
literacy should certainly be a part of that!

Kathrine Walker, Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State University