From:
Laura Hortz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:49:57 -0500
Hello All,

Here at the Siouxland Heritage Museums some of our staff went to a mount
making workshop a couple of years ago where they learned how to make custom
mannequins from ethafoam.  My staff and I have just finished making 44 of
them for an upcoming clothing exhibit that we're having and I really like
the way the work/look.  The only disadvantages of them are that they don't
have heads and that they take a lot of time to make.  Each mount takes about
4 hours to complete once you get good at it and if the garment needs a
bustle or other undergarment it takes a bit of time to pad them out
properly.

It is a relatively inexpensive solution to the mannequin problem for us
since the only investment is staff time and about $40 in ethafoam and hot
glue.  if you would like the instructions on how to make them, just let me
know.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Laura L. Hortz
Curator of Collections
Siouxland Heritage Museums
Sioux Falls, SD

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection!  Prices start
at less than $1 a day average.  https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
by service area.)