From:
Tongariki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 19:28:39 GMT
One last shot Miguel.... When I firdt wrote in you replied to "M/M
Tongariki" since then you have decided that I am indeed male - even though
I have not in any way indicated my gender.  As for the other
stuff/outreach, working at a museum that cooperated with law-enforcement
in the US/Mexico border area as a probation and community service site was
a VERY effective way to do outreach.  We always thanked those workers for
their time and efforts (although they were sentenced to service work they
may have been placed in another agency), we showed them how to write a
resume, taught them basic office skills and etiquette, and encouraged them
to see themselves as a part of the history we were working with.  We
wanted them to see themselves as connected and valuable.  We encouraged
them to finish school so they could shoot higher if they wanted to rise
higher.  Occasionally it worked and some didn't have trouble with the law
after that.  As for BOARD representation; it was only natural given the
bi-national, bi-cultural mission statement that locally raised and
recently migrated Anglo-Americans, Mexican Americans and Mexican nationals
all served on the board in equal numbers.  There were two languages in
nearly every transaction.  I did learn some Spanish on the job and I was a
guest instructor at an English language school for adults across "the
line".