From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:13:12 -0700
Hi all,

I'm a dog owner but am not one of these people that think my dog should be able
to go anywhere I do but a lot of the arguments against dogs can be made against
children as well.

--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> To bring a dog into the workplace or gallery area is thus inconsiderate of
others.

While the point that people might be threatened by dogs is valid, but what if
everyone at your office is dog friendly and wants to bring their dogs too? I've
worked at a couple of offices where we brought our dogs in and it was a much
less stressful place as a result. We had a reason to get up and take a walk
every now and then instead of being stuck at our desks. If everyone agrees then
why not bring in dogs?

> 2.  Dogs are animals.  They carry insects, plant life and everything else and

> can quickly produce vomit, feces and urine.  If we are concerned about
> protecting our collections from pests, we should not allow dogs or any other
> pets near them.

I'd make that claim against your average pre-schooler. I know I piddled on the
floor at least once as a child and seen many a kid vomit. Kids don't cover
their mouths when they sneeze, wipe their germy hands over everything, might
not wash them after going to the bathroom. I know parents who send their kids
to school sick because they don't have enough leave time at work to take off or
a babysitter to take care of them. As a public school teacher, I was sick all
the time from being around children. My dog is much healthier than most kids
and is completely potty trained.

> 3.  Respect and responsibility for collections.  Museum people are charged
> with upholding the public trust when it comes to collections.   That means
> museums not only have fiduciary responsibility to our public and to our
> collections, but they are also charged with providing proper care for the
> collections.

So how is having a dog around the collections not responsible? My dog isn't
going to try and paw the paintings. You have to repeatedly tell some children
to keep their grubby little hands off them.

> And the public expects this.  Just because people bring pets into their
> private work places or businesses allow clients to bring their pets with them
doesn't mean museums should allow this.

Again, why not? Shouldn't it be up to the museums to decide? What if the
museums have a nice sculpture garden or a nature center where a pet could hang
out with the other animals?

> Once we start allowing dogs, what's next? Pot belly pigs, iguanas, snakes?
> All of these are pets.

Iguanas and snakes are far better choices to allow than dogs or children. They
don't shed. Don't make noise and are pretty self-containted. I used to work at
a nature center that had an iguana who loved to ride on my head. I could work
at my desk, do school programs, or work around the center and he'd happily sit
on my head and not move. I've sat at my desk for many hours with a snake around
my waist or curled around my pony tail as well. The only problem I'd have with
pot bellied pigs is that you can't really lead them around on a leash and they
can be rather stubborn creatures so they're harder to control than a dog.

Go visit Germany sometime. I don't think dogs are allowed in museums but they
are allowed in resturants, shops, and many other places. They are also
well-behaved. I'd take a well-trained dog over a bratty kid any day. Some
people are also calmer with their dogs and might get more out of the museum
experience. Dogs can be a calming influence and help people focus. I have the
world's friendliest greyhound. Really! He gets upset if we *don't* stop and
talk to people on our walks. He'd be fine in a museum or anyplace else that I
wanted to take him. And getting your dog out and about is far preferable than
leaving them at home for 12 hours a day.

But I do agree that there are appropriate and inappropriate places for dogs. I
also believe that all dogs should have obedience training and be under control
at all time. I just wish people would think that way about their children.

Deb